My 7th grader was named Student of the Month this month -- he managed to pull it off now in both 6th & 7th grade. He knows how to make his mama proud, that's for sure. Kind of makes up for all the times I think his skull is made of rocks and perhaps filled with them too. Straight A grades & not a lick of common sense. Such is the life of a pubescent boy I suppose.
We are so incredibly close and I couldn't be more thankful for that. He tells me everything, far too much sometimes. Its a parent/child relationship that sometimes gets confused for a friendship. I often have to remind myself that I'm his mom and I have a responsibility for helping mold him into a responsible, caring, productive adult. That frightens me. I guess I'm doing a decent job at it though, eh? I'm pretty sure Garth is playing quite a supporting role in this too. I give him full props. ;)
Have I said I cannot believe I have a teenager? Dude. I'm just 34. I guess that's what happens when you do those things your mother warned you about. Alas, this child is the thing that changed my life, my values, my soul. Having had my carefree young adult life cut short with his arrival, I sometimes look back at all that I missed. Once in awhile I still struggle with how my goals got detoured, the new direction my life was rerouted to and the priorities & responsibilities I had to take on single-handed as a consequence of MY actions. I never shirked from my responsibilities but did feel bitter once in awhile, I won't lie.
In hindsight, I know this child saved me. From myself.
Good job, B. You make your mama beam with pride. And you're happy. I couldn't ask for anything more.




3 comments:
I hope I'm as proud of my teenage boys as you are of yours. And I hope I can raise mine as well as you raised B.
WAY TO GO B!!! GIve him a huge high five for me.
Great job Mama!!! What a great kid you got!
Post a Comment