Wednesday, November 19, 2008

GO EVERLY!!!

BirthMONTH, Day 19:

I was going to post birthday pictures today or about the really fun PostSecret event I went to on Monday with Rachel & Ellisa but something even more exciting is happening in our household this week that takes precedence.

Everly is potty training. On her own. Completely of her own free will.

It had to be this way. My daughter is a diva, a true princess in her own mind. There is no 'training' to be had that isn't her very own idea. I knew this diaper to underpants transition was going to be a battle of wills. A battle she'd win.

We have been encouraging. Praising, not pushing, encouraging her to find the potty a great place to find relief, rather than in her diaper. Being a mom for the past 14 years, with 4 children total, adds up to a lot of dang diaper changes. I'm over it. Cloth diapering for most of that time, I'm really over it and them. Treehugging be damned, I'm ready to move on.

Yesterday we came home from story time at the library and Evie had a dry diaper. Wow! She then told me she had to pee and we raced off for our first successful potty trip of the day.

She then insisted on being naked. Hey, no problem. I wish I could be naked all the time too.

Everly spent the entire day, minus her nap, naked. She pee'd in her potty on her own, emptying it in the toilet, washing her hands and then giving me a high 5.

Then the test. It was time to poop.

On her own she brought me that potty and yup, there was poop in it. Sweet mother, child, I'm so proud of you! Only a mother can be so proud of a turd.

An entirely successful potty day has lead to yet another successful potty day so far. Fingers crossed we're started something great. I'm ready and I'm pleased as toast she appears to be ready too.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT JOB, EVIE!!! Keep it up Girlie!!!

Danielle said...

I am so jealous. Emily, who's 29 months, wants to have NOTHING to do with the potty. I'm letting her take her time and do it at her own pace, but I am SO ready to be done with her big girl dirty diapers.

Unknown said...

P.S. you know that picture is going to give T the hebbie jebbies!!

Marissa said...

ellisa - i'm going to tell her to just imagine its me. ;)

Brightside said...

"only a mother could be this proud of a turd"
LOL, so true!!

darcie said...

HURRAY Everly!!! We are leading parallel lives! Last winter/spring/summer when we were newly potty trained at our house - Hails spent every second she could get away with it naked - or at least naked from the waist down! She still trys it actually ~ *sigh* oh well...
And now...our son who isn't even 2 yet has decided he wants in on the fun and has begun using the potty chair AND toilet all on his own! Guess I should have been paying more attention to the fact he might be ready because last night -The just turned three year old happily reported that her little brother put a big log in the toilet! I think she was as proud of that poop as he was...and his dad and I were!!

Christine said...

Go, Evie, Go! How proud you must be!!

Jen said...

Great Job Everly!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job Evie!! Oh the things we get excited about, turds and pee, LOL!!!

Gene said...

Yes it does not take much to excite us moms LOL, but no kids in diapers is a number one thing. Love Mom K.