Monday, May 11, 2009

I LOVE MY NEW JOB!

yeah yeah perhaps I *am* too excited about this.

how many people can say they have a job doing exactly what they've always wanted to be doing?

not enough, that's for sure.

went on my 1st body removal this morning. it was pretty text book standard, they won't all be this way. learned the ropes of body coverings, moving bodies, transporting them, working the cot (not the easiest to maneuver & i sure don't want to drop someones loved one while the grieving family stands by). the family today was lovely, truly. the gentleman who passed away was genuinely loved & well taken care of - it was very apparent.

once we got back to the funeral home (oh yes, i drive hearses, didn't ya know?!), i learned what my job was in the prep room. it's safe to say most people couldn't do this. i, on the other hand, was in full "teach me! teach me!" mode. interesting & fascinating don't even begin to describe what goes on between a death & a burial- cremation processes are pretty dang intriguing too.

more harassment from the superiors regarding my excitement & enthusiasm followed... though i can already tell i impress them with my unwavering, eager interest in seeing & learning it all. serving families respectfully and honorably is important to me and i really want to do a great job for them. there are so many religious aspects, cultural aspects, legal aspects, personal aspects - each situation so different from the next.

this may be historically a man-dominant business but stand back, this chic is blazing forward in it.

5 comments:

AKA "Meesh" said...

You fuggin' rock, 'rissa. Seriously. I am high fivin' you from Louisiana. I love that you are not afraid, and not ashamed of your passion!!! I'm behind you ALL the way!! ::what a view::

<3

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are so excited!!!!!!! you will do fine!!!!!!!!! Love Mom K.

ali said...

you never cease to amaze me!! i have no doubt that you will be the best funeral director---your enthusiasm & compassion are the perfect blend!!

darcie said...

Very proud of you Marissa! Must be a great feeling to enjoy going to 'work'! Go get em girl!
xoxo - darc

Brightside said...

you are amazing, Marissa. I'm glad you love your new job :)