Thursday, July 23, 2009

gone too soon.










Yesterday I witnessed my 3rd baby at work.

So tiny.
So very, very tiny.
He was fully formed, so perfect.

I could have held his entire body with just one hand.

I was told he actually lived for a few minutes.
But now he is still.

He was an absolutely beautiful little person.

The first 2 babies I've seen were somehow easier than this one. I don't know how or why... but this one was harder. He was taken far too early from not only his parents, but the womb he grew in.

I'm overcoming the mental hurdles I know I need to tackle but there are days, like yesterday, that are the real tests to those who can succeed in this business and those who simply cannot.

I'm still in it, even if I get choked up once in awhile.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

how hard. but don't feel bad about getting choked up. it means you're still human and can see the real side of death. (((hugs)))

Jen said...

(((((((Marissa)))))))) That would be hard NOT to get choked up over.

Anonymous said...

So sorry, when I worked at the hospital I absolutely could not take care of sick children it was just not my gift. My sis works in a funeral home, she does the insurance and planning, and works with the families, the babies are also the hardest for her. I send you hugs and love, Love Mom K

LisaE. said...

It is an act of love and honor to the life that never got a chance to start when you prepare his or her body in a way that allows the parents and family to grieve and say their good-byes to the baby that will be in their hearts forever.

AKA "Meesh" said...

It takes a special person, Marissa. A very, very special person. There are so many reasons you've been dealt the hand you have. You're incredibly special. <3 I can't imagine.