I've been waiting months to have the Dr. come in when I wasn't already there working. Not only did I get to watch the entire procedure, having each step explained in great detail to me, but a call came in during the process that another body would be delivered shortly.
I observed my 2nd autopsy today.
I was in awe, mesmerized by the reality of all that I was experiencing. I never once felt queasy or questioned what I was doing there, or why. I was meant to be there. I felt totally at ease.
But...
The smell. Oh, the smell. A truly indescribable smell. An I-need-to-be-anywhere-but-here smell. If I wasn't so completely captivated & engaged in what I was doing and witnessing, I'd have run from the room. I've yet to ever, in my life, smell anything that bad. Some of our embalming fluids smell bad but they have nothing, and I mean nothing, on the smell of the opened gut of a deceased person.
Today was awesomely cool.
But it stunk.
Badly.




5 comments:
I don't know how the hell you do it...but someone has to.
You are gonna be great at this!!
That is super cool...details. what was the most interesting thing you learned about the autopsy? Was there anything they did that made you think, "I never thought of that"? So curious..I would love to watch one but I don't think I could work through the smells...good for you! Jeffra
You truly amaze me. You are one of a kind my dear! LOL I'm so glad you're lovin' what you're doin'.
Jeffra - the coolest thing was to see the entire layout of the body inside. Where things really are, the size of things (our stomach is big, our liver is huge!). I enjoyed how the Dr opened the heart, showing me the chambers and how/where they look for aneursyms, blockages, cholesterol, etc. The brain is pretty amazing too.
I used to be an autopsy assistant at work. Rub a little Vick's vaporub under your nose. It does wonders!!
Post a Comment