Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools, very foolish.

I had a bad April Fools day. It started off fine. I got into my car to go to the gym, backed up and then realized that I never took care of my earrings yesterday. I had taken them out because they had been bugging me and set them on my laptop. Big mistake. I couldn't remember what I did with them after that.

I knew it would drive me crazy while at the gym worrying about it so I pulled back in the driveway to run in and find them, figuring they got knocked onto the floor. No biggee. After a few minutes of searching I went out to shut off my car realizing I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Ugh.

I searched. I cursed myself for leaving them sitting around knowing I have a grabby toddler who would love to take off with them. Envisioning having to go through my cats bowel waste, and probably my daughters too, for the next week didn't exactly excite me either.

I searched high on the dresser and in my closet. I searched low under the bed, the dresser, nightstand and on the floor of my bathroom & closet. I shook out every article of clothing in the laundry room (note to self: catch up on laundry). My son looked in the washer, I looked in the dryer. I shook shoes. I found things under my bed that didn't belong there - one of E's dollhouse dolls, 4 pacifiers, numerous odds & ends of snacks eaten in my room, a pen, a magazine I had not yet read, a remote that went long missing. My room got a complete overhaul but still no earrings. I had screwed them together so I knew I wasn't looking for 2 separate earrings, just one lump of earrings, which was reassuring.

I shook my bed out. I shook the pillows out. I completely stripped the bed. Nothing.

I was so mad at myself but never swore, screamed or took it out on anyone but myself. That's a change of behavior I can bashfully admit. But man, was I frustrated.

If these earrings were just earrings, I would never have gone through all this - at least I'd like to think so. These earrings were one of the few earthly possessions that I completely & utterly cherish. My beloved 30th birthday present from my Garfa -- one of the few pieces of jewelry I can wear for more than a few hours without breaking out in an allergic reaction. Even these bother me after an extended wear, so like yesterday, I do take them out once in awhile.

I was standing in the living room saying to my son, "Come on, where can they be?!" so completely frustrated with myself. In the oddest moment, he shrugged then looked down, bent over and picked up my earrings. Just like that. He said, "I just saw something glimmering in the toy box". Toy box, huh? Oh E, you nutball toddler. I KNEW IT WAS YOU!!

Literally seconds after B found them, Garth walked through the door. He had come home from work to help me look for them because he knew it'd been hours since he'd talked to me and I must be completely frantic over it. He was SO happy we'd found them and to find out that I had remained, for the most part, calm throughout the ordeal. He knows how much those dang earrings mean to me. I'm still shaken up over it and it's been about 6 hours since we found them. I'm upset that I laid them down carelessly. I'm upset that something so materialistic means so much to me. I'm happy both my son & my husband knew how much they meant to me and gave a true effort to help me find them. That means more than the earrings. I think.

I love you Garth & B. Thank you. :)

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I am so glad you found them!!! I know excatly how you felt or feel. I lost the earings that Dave gave me for the birth of my 1st child, Annv, and Bday gift all in one. To this date I have not found them!!! Maybe your son can come here to find mine!! :) ((hugs)) to you for handling it so well!

Anonymous said...

so so so glad they were found!

Jen said...

So very glad that they were found!!

Unknown said...

SO SO SO glad you found them!!!!