Last week was the annual Shamrock mother-son dance. It was rescheduled 3 times due to space conflicts but it finally did happen. Yes, I'm wearing my Easter jacket twice in one week so shush. It was a St Pats dance, I had to wear green!
When I attended this with my oldest we danced the entire night. He & I hung out, had snacks and danced. He's now too old to attend. This year I took the younger 2 boys, having snuck in a preschooler by claiming he was a kindergartner. It's not like I didn't pay for him to come! Whatever, there were like 3 year olds there too so apparently I'm not the only mama trying to get in a little mother-son bonding time despite the minimum age being kindergarten.

To be honest, a little alcohol would have made this 2 hour dance a lot more tolerable. Luckily I ran into a couple of moms I know otherwise this time would have been even more awkward than it was already. The boys didn't want to dance and when I forced W to dance with me on a slow song he whispered into my ear 30 seconds in that he really didn't want to dance with me. So off I slunked to the side of the gym, defeated like it was a school dance and I was the dejected girl. I realize slunked is not an actual word but most girls can relate to the emotion/motion of slunking over to a wall just to stand there like an embarrassed, rejected wallflower.
So no dancing. W (see above) did get his groove on alone a few times. The boys did have a blast running around with their friends. Not a ton of mother-son bonding occurred, at least nothing magical to speak of. Both boys participated in the limbo contest and although J did really well and made it through quite a few rounds, W is a total cheat. That W, he was just being W so its hard to fault the 'lil dude. The kid has more personality than a lot of adults I know.
It was fun, I guess (who am I kidding, it was downright painful), but I am glad we went. It was nice to spend some 2-on-1 time with my boys. That said, I'm not exactly counting the days until the next one though. ;)





3 comments:
OMG I so needed that laugh today! THANK YOU!! I can't stop!!! :) Glad you got to spend um some time with the boys!
So cute! I can't wait for those days. well...maybe I'll take a flask.
Very cute!! Too bad it wasn't a little more exciting. Next time tailgate in the parking lot first,lol!!
Post a Comment