After Garth found Wilson many aisles over after he, once again per usual, wandered off in Target I asked Wilson what he would do had we not found him. Exasperated he replied, "I'd find a red shirt and tell them a stranger was trying to steal me to kill me." Ok drama boy, that was a bit much considering a stranger never approached you while on your very-much-against-the-rules adventure solo in Target.
"Wilson, no one was trying to steal you or kill you but that could happen - wandering off is against the rules".
"I know". Head hangs in theatrical shame.
"How about starting with finding 'a red shirt' and telling them 'My name is Wilson xxxxx and I can't find my parents'"?
"Ok".
Over the head. Right over his sweet sometimes-I-want-to-strangle-his-spaz-self adorable little head.
I turn out of an aisle and a stranger (probably the child stealer/serial killer...) stops me and says, "I heard all that and I can tell you're a great mom and I wanted you to know".
Me? A good mom? The one who feels overwhelmed too often, swears too much and has the patience of a gnat? Shut up inner-turmoil, I'll take a compliment when it comes my way.
Blushing I thanked him and he kept moving his cart forward. Back off he went, still a stranger to me, but his words I heard louder than Garth's had earlier. I take for granted the words I hear from voices so familiar and I need to stop doing that. But this strangers kindness, he surely didn't have to stop to compliment me, I heard his loud and clear.
It made my day. No, my week.
I am a good mom. And when I'm not, I'm going to take a deep breath and try again. I'll keep trying 'til I get it right. Or close.




3 comments:
You are an AWESOME mom!
You ARE a good mom. And yes, it's easier to hear from strangers.
Hurray for random acts of kindness - you are a GREAT mom - we all have those days/moments from time to time where we doubt ourselves and that's ok too - Hugs - xoxo - darc
Post a Comment