I always said I wanted to grow up to marry my dad. Not someone like my dad, but my actual dad. Comparing him to my friends' dads, mine simply rocked - there was little comparison and he was a single dad at that. My dad learned how to put ponytails in our hair, was an awesome cook ("Food is love!") and took us camping each summer. As a teenager he bought us tampons without flinching and never missed a school conference. My dad is fun to drink beer with, laugh with and talk politics with. No, I'm lying, I hate talking politics with my dad. Regardless of his right-wing flaw, I can't imagine having a hands-off dad like some of my friends had. I feel really lucky to have gotten the dad I did.

My dad taught us values. To have them, to expect them from others and to never lower your own standards because of the company you keep but then again, the company you keep is a reflection on you & your own reputation, so be selective. To love thy neighbor does not mean you have to act like them.

My dad taught us the value of a dollar. He taught us right from wrong. He helped cultivate a conscience in me that speaks loudly when I need it. I still make mistakes, often, but there is an undeniable voice in my head reminding me to straighten up. Thank you for putting that there, Dad.

If something doesn't belong to you, it's not yours, period. You don't steal it, borrow it without permission or in any way compromise it and you sure as hell don't confiscate it (my dad's going to laugh when he sees the word confiscate worked into my blog for him).
My dad believes in vanity. I think I was a full fledged grown up before I was ever allowed to touch his hair. You want to be treated respectfully? Carry yourself respectfully. Be clean, be neat, get your hair cut regularly and don't be a ragamuffin (another word he taught me well, thanks to my childhood insistence on looking like one).

My dad believes one should own up to their responsibilities. Make the best of a situation you created but never shirk from it, nor blame someone else. Though thoroughly disappointed in finding his college attending, single daughter pregnant, he never turned me away nor loved me any less, despite not loving my actions. He taught me volumes about unconditional love. I'd like to think I made him proud by not taking the easy way out, by owning up to what I played a part of and by becoming the kind of mother that would honor and pass these values on to my own children. I can't imagine my life without my dad, or that baby he helped me keep.
My dad instilled in me the love of the "good guy". Good guys might finish last but they usually end up with the best girl and have the last laugh. Always the stubborn obstinate one, I tried the "bad boy" route. It got me nothing but grief. The boys my dad wanted me to date? All now successful, polished and made something of their lives. My dad knew what he was talking about.
On that same note, I lived my young adult years looking for a mate that lived up to my dad. I honestly thought no one in my generation existed. And then I met my Garfa. He is my dad reincarnated, and my dad is not even dead. Almost 10 years later and I still find new similarities between the two of them. God sent me just what I was looking for, just what I needed and my Garth fit the bill to a tee.
I'm so thankful my dad was hand-chosen by God to be mine. He makes me laugh, he makes me appreciate all my blessings and he reminds me often to value family. "Friends can be friends today but just a memory tomorrow - you're stuck with your family forever." He told me that just this morning.
Dad, thank you for all that you've done, all that you've sacrificed and for giving me the confidence to always stand up for what I believe in... even if that's being a tree-hugging, earth-loving liberal.

I love you (too!), Dad. Happy Father's Day.




2 comments:
What a great tribute to your dad. He sounds like an amazing father and great man. Not to mention a wonderful teacher and role model!
aw that was so sweet love! I hope you print it or link to it for him to read!
Post a Comment