Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Bridging the old with the new.

My oldest son, B, brought home straight A's for the first semester of 7th grade yesterday. Even though he's slightly awkward, slightly boy, slightly pubescent, he makes me cry tears of joy that he's handling these middle school years so much better than I ever did. Making straight A's and exceling in 2 sports too. He's quite the kid to be proud of. :D

I still can't believe I have a teenager. I still feel like one myself sometimes! Speaking of...

A few weeks ago I ran into a girl I've known since elementary school. We knew each other and lived in the same neighborhood -- she was a grade ahead of me -- but never really became friends until high school when we were on the same pom team. Holly quickly became one of my great friends and we shared some really wonderful times together growing up. I feel like she knew me even before I knew myself.

Sometime in college our lives took different paths, I left town and we lost touch. I went on to have some seriously rocky 20's, grow another 4 inches (Holly didn't, LOL), enter & get out of an abusive marriage, finish college, get remarried, have a tribe of children, make new friends. The distant memories of high school started getting a little fuzzy around the edges.

Running into Holly innocently at Kohl's lit a spark in my head. I was SO happy to see her, so happy to reconnect and still scratch my head over how we let life get in the way and our friendship fall by the wayside. It happens I guess, through no ones fault, it just does.

Since seeing her, my head has been flooded with all these wonderful memories. She told me her mom passed away and I was almost overcome with emotion over a woman I have not seen in like 17 years. Holly's mom listened to you when you spoke. She didn't talk at you nor over you, she talked TO you. Holly's mom made me feel that my words, my feelings, my conversations were important. I'm incredibly sad I never got the chance to tell her so.

Holly and I had some serious schemes going at all times. We were good girls... well, on the surface. We were forever doing something on the down-low and many a'boys were kissed by me in the back of Holly's monster car. Her car was like 100 feet long and must have been a gas-guzzler because she charged me $2 every time I got in it, I swear. I wouldn't trade those $2 memories for $200 now.

Holly began dating her now-husband when they were in the 8th grade. Good 'ol teddy bear Bruce -- I cannot believe they are still together after all these years, with 2 kids to boot. That there is some amazing testimony as to what love will bring you through, if you're willing to stick it out and make it work.

Steve, Steve, there was this guy named Steve. Holly was convinced I should make my moves on Steve because as Bruce's good friend, she was stuck with Steve's long-time girlfriend all the time. As far as Holly was concerned, she should be stuck with ME all the time. Our plot didn't work, Steve stayed with his woman but not before kissing me first. hahahahaha! I swear I saw Steve from a distance at Hobby Lobby just last week and whether it was really him or not, I got a real belly laugh out of the memory.

As my head fills with the distant, hilarious memories of being in high school, my brain quickly brings me to my life right now. I have a wonderful husband, 4 great kids who only annoy me on a part-time basis, a beautiful home that will never sell because its too expensive for the housing market right now (something I should be thankful for & stop cursing), and I have been blessed with an incredible circle of friends who love me just as I am; quirks, oddities, wild fascinations and all.

I can only hope that running into Holly and exchanging email addresses will build a bridge to include her in my current circle of friends as these past few weeks of flooding memories made me realize that wow, I've really missed her in my life.


Holly - far left
I'm 3rd from the left (90's hair & all...)
Our sidekick Christine is 5th from the left.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great picture!! It's funny when you can reflect on those times. Life seems so much simpler then, doesn't it? I hope you guys can reconnect and refordge your friendship as adults.

Tiffany said...

OK, seeing your Pom Team pic is now my new third favorite thing about you. I'm not sure if I would have kicked your butt in high school or you would have kicked mine ;)

Marissa said...

come on now alternative girl... i wouldn't have kicked your ass nor allowed you to kick mine. when no one was looking, i may have kissed you in the bathroom though. bwhahahahaha!!! ;)

Holly said...

Wow Marissa-what a blast from the past this has been! Your blog touched my heart so much. And to read what my mom meant to you? She truly was an amazing woman and I forget just how many lives she touched. Yeah-that was Stevie you ran into, he's the big Store Manager there! Here's a blast from the past for you-you are still the only person I've ever known that peed herself during a drunken slumber! : )) I would love to meet all your Ya Yas over a bottle of Shiraz sometime and give them more stories from my lil' Rissa's past. ; )

Marissa said...

I left out that pissing in my 90's tight black jeans with black nylons underneath memory ON PURPOSE -- they were a BITCH to get off wet & pissed in while stumbling around still drunk. LOL!!!! I've NEVER drank whiskey & Meijer brand cola mixed together since either!!! :D

Tiffany & Ellisa have a few good drunk Marissa stories to share as well. Neither of them will ever look at a Big Daddy Taxi the same EVER again, I'm quite sure. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh Holly. How I long to meet you and trade stories of our drunk Marissa. It sounds like you have a few. And I GUARANTEE we have some as well.

Marissa, bring her on our next "meet up"!

And pissin' in your pants. Now THAT'S classic. Can't wait to hear details about that.

And yeah...Tiffany, you and I wouldn't at ALL have been friends in school. Tiffany was the freak. You were the preppy girl. I was the one not at because I was able to get up that morning. LOL