Monday, February 11, 2008

Jammies did not win!

In yesterdays post I was debating putting my pajamas back on or taking the kids swimming. Oh the pajamas sounded so tempting. I have 3 pairs of Old Navy fleece pants that are just heaven to slip into. Sometimes they are too hot when I'm actually sleeping but kicking around the house in them is nothing short of wonderful on these cold winter days.

The pajamas didn't win.

We took the kids to the gym and we all went swimming. Man, do my kids love the water, each & every one of them. Having been swimming quite well since before I could even walk, I've always loved the water too.

At our gym there are 4 pools. 2 are in one area and 2 are in another. The 2 'inside' pools are well, inside. There is an exercise pool; small and only goes to 5 feet. A lot of water aerobics & rehab type stuff takes place in that pool. Then there is a lap pool. The 2 'outside' pools are outside but only during the warm months. During the cold months, there is a HUGE dome cover that is put over the 2 pools so they can be used all winter long. The leisure pool is just that. Kids flock to this pool. It could be the warm water but its probably the huge water slide attached to it. The other pool is a really large lap pool. 12 feet deep at the deepest point. It goes from 3-4-5 feet and then drooooooooooops right off. I love it.

E (20 months) loves swimming. Like she pulls away when you try to hold her hand or hold the back of her bathing suit so she won't go under. With the tubes in her ears she's not supposed to be going under. Someone needs to 'splain that to her since Garth & I can't get it through to her. She's seeing the ENT later this week and we're having custom ear plugs made for her. She needs them. Let's hope she wears them without complaint. Fingers crossed.

Last night I challenged J & W to both try the water slide for the first time. W (5) was all over it. Kid knows no fear. J (6) scoffed a bit but was not to be outdone by his little brother. I assured him he'd be fine. He wasn't afraid of the water slide itself, he was afraid of what he'd do when he hit the water at the bottom. From the base of the slide to the steps is about 15 feet or so that you have to be able to swim successfully to be allowed to use the slide. I knew both boys were ready.

Down came B (13). He's been navigating that slide for years. No problem.

Next came fearless W. Big smile on his face as he reached the bottom and splashed in. Up he came to the surface, eyes kind of big wondering what comes next but he just bobbed along until he reached the stairs. That's my boy. Sometimes his very real lack of fear really frightens me but in this instance it thrilled me that his confidence took him right to the edge of the pool with ease.

J's turn. Little Man Nervous that he is I know his little heart must have been just a'fluttering. Hit the water, started kicking. Eyes real big, like W's, but I had no doubt he'd make it safely to the stairs. He did it, no problem!!!! Yay J!!!

While Garth played with the 3 younger kids, B and I headed over to our favorite spot. We take the inside lane of the lap pool and swim laps, challenging each other in different strokes, racing to the other end. I never let him win but last night he truly beat me on the last lap. I was whooped! He was making great progress though and I really had to bust butt to whip him each lap. hahahaha! We also have a game we've been playing since he was about 6. We take a diving stick or ring or block, or whatever we find first, and toss it in the 12 foot deep end and take turns retrieving it. I know how much he loves this game we've been playing for like forever. Good mom/boy bonding time. :)

It was some great exercise and a great family night. The kids were POOPED when we got home. Another awesome reward!!!

*********
side note:
Today finally marks 15 lbs. that have been shed off my fat ass.
Go me! :)

5 comments:

Lorene said...

Congrats on your 15 lb weightloss! I am so very proud of you!

Anonymous said...

FIFTEEN POUNDS!!!!!!!!

Rock on with your hot ass self!

Anonymous said...

I never doubted you could do it but I am surprised on well you've kept at it. You're changing the way you act and think about food and I am so proud of you.

Keep it up - you look great (of course, I thought that anyway)!

Love,

G

Anonymous said...

15 lbs!!!

Now THAT is something to be proud of!

15 pounds that will never be back on your body!

Go get yourself a pedicure, LOL

Unknown said...

Awesome job on the 15 lbs. And it sounds like a kick BUTT time at the pool!! So very jealous!