Monday, January 21, 2008

obsessions, possessions, oh my.

I think I may have some odd form of OCD. I'm not a shopaholic although I do love to shop. I don't live for it but don't get me wrong, I really really enjoy it. When I discover something I love however, stand back. I will review, research, obsess, bargain hunt, plot, plan, purchase. And 1 is never enough. I want more. More, more, more.

3 things my daughter has that I am insanely obsessed with.

SHOES:
http://www.seekairun.com/ shoes. She's only had 3 pairs and at that they have been different sizes. She's outgrown one pair, she's wearing her 2nd pair and she has a 3rd pair that is still a size too big that she got for Christmas. If I could toss her already insane shoe collection and have her only wear See Kai Run shoes all the time, I would, I love them that much. They are THE best baby/toddler/preschool shoes. They only run up until toddler size 9 though. Bummer. Thankfully, SKR was smart enough to expand their horizons and is introducing their sister company, The Eleven Collection, for bigger kids this upcoming spring. http://elevencollection.com/ I see a few pairs that my 5 and 6 year old boys will be sporting soon and E will get there in due time.

http://www.robeez.com/en-us/tredz.htm?lang=en-us&pricecat=2&refid=contest-email_tredzFeb08_enus&source=launchemail - I don't know how to make the link shorter so sorry about that. Robeez knows how to make some awesome, durable baby shoes but once your baby is up and running, they're only ok for toddlers. Just not durable enough for walking a lot outside. Today I got an email that Robeez is introducing their new toddler line of Robeez Tredz. Rock the casbah, I just hit cloud 9 and the jackpot. I love them!!!!

BABYLEGS:
http://www.babylegs.net/ - perhaps the coolest baby product to hit the market - EVER. Tights with saggy crotches? no more! Need sleeves but don't want the bulk of an added shirt? Presto! Even my 13 year old has a pair that he wears as sleeves and can't wait to try them out with his football uniform this fall when its soooo cold on the football field late in the season. Almost embarrassed, but boldly proud, we have 42 pairs of these. [blushing] Now granted, some I've gotten free, some I've gotten totally on sale and only a limited few did I actually pay full price ($12 - $22 each). An impressive product with multiple uses, I simply adore thee.

HAIR BOWS:
Now listen. Hear me out on this one. I grew up envying a girl in my grade named Tricia Carg. She had Nellie Olson from Little House on the Prairie ringlets and the most gorgeous hair bows, in addition to those cool ponytail holders that had 2 plastic balls attached to them. Her hair was perfect every day and she wore this cool hankerchief style knit hat to school, one that wouldn't mess up her perfect ringlet pigtails. Oh how I wanted to covet those hair bows and bouncy ringlets. My mom had already chopped off my long locks and replaced them with a horrible Dorothy Hamill hair-don't. No bows for me.

Years later, I gave birth to a son. No hair bows. Seven years later, I gave birth to another son. No hair bows. A year later I gave birth to yet another son. Still no hair bows. I resolved myself to being a "mama of boys" and wasn't bitter. Truly I wasn't. I loved (well, i actually still do, LOL) my boys. Then we decided to have one last child. I went into my final pregnancy knowing that the odds were stacked against us having a daughter. I loved the name we had chosen for our 4th son and was excited to use it.

Well stand back. Everyone back the F up -- I gave birth to a creature with a vagina. Over 400 hair bows later, I have no regrets. I hold nothing back when it comes to hair bows. Take that Tricia Carg's mama, I'll see your cool 70's hair bows and raise you another big-as-my-kids-head pair of korkers.

Lastly, I am finally coming to terms with the fact that I may have some food compulsions. I am learning quickly, and not having problems with it, to eat proper portions. But there is one food to which I have no control. Something takes over my body. I can't say no. One is never enough and if there are leftovers, the next day doesn't stand a chance. I will eat and eat and eat and then I beat myself up over it later. At the moment I have no control. NONE. Put a slice of pizza in front of me and watch my eyes gleam. My mouth waters and I have to hold myself back.

This past weekend at a friends house in Royal Oak they ordered Tonya's pizza. In anticipation of it arriving, I kept hearing "Oh Tonya's. Oh how I love Tonya". Who the hell is Tonya and let me taste this infamous stuffed pizza. Oh. My. It was soooo good. I ate my one piece and then had to turn my body away from the cupboard it sat on. I could have eaten the entire thing. I mean, pushed people out of the way and sat down on the floor with the entire box like a glutton and made a fool of myself.

Thankfully, I didn't do that. I ate one piece, raved about it and was finished eating. If we'd had that pizza place near us, my fat ass wouldn't stand a chance.

No comments: